The Best of Pizza in Naples

25 Jul

Truth be told, we fit Napoli in to our Italy itinerary because we wanted pizza from where modern pizza originated. Capri, Amalfi coast, and Pompeii were just added bonuses.

According to legend, modern pizza was first made in Napoli in 1889 for Princess Margherita, hence the margherita pizza. True or not, I still like the story.

Pizzaria da Michele is considered the “sacred temple of Pizza,” according to the internet anyway. So of course we had to try it.

IMG_0870

When you arrive you get a number from a guy at the door and he calls out numbers as tables are available. It’s pretty popular there; not only for the pizza but also because it’s where they filmed a scene in “Eat, Pray, Love.”

It’s not fancy and you must rush. There is no leisurely eating and enjoying here. You sit, you order, you eat, you leave. Fast food at it’s finest.

IMG_0875 IMG_0874 IMG_0873 IMG_0872

We ordered a margherita pizza to share.

IMG_0881

Napoli pizza perfection.

The dough was just a bit too sweet to make it the best pizza ever, but it was darn close! I love the soft, gooey center and the hot, slightly burnt crust.

Our next stop in pizza heaven was Pizzeria Di Matteo, recommended by our Airbnb host. And I’m so glad we listened to him (he is a local, obviously). Hands down the best pizza on our trip! A small place with a bunch of different pizzas, cold beer, and an oven so hot the pizza is ready in under two minutes.

IMG_0867

It’s a favorite of former President Bill Clinton.

IMG_0868

Can’t beat those prices!

IMG_0869

The kitchen.

The pizza lived up to every expectation we had for pizza in Naples. Everything about it was right and the Nastro Azzurro went perfectly!

IMG_0865

If I ever need to chose a last meal, or a meal I have to eat every day for the rest of my life, I chose this.

If you ever make it to Naples you absolutely must try these pizzerias!

Advertisements

8 Responses to “The Best of Pizza in Naples”

1. marybcunningham July 25, 2015 at 8:38 am #

Now I want pizza. But it’s only 8:30. Too early?

• Patti July 25, 2015 at 9:10 am #

It’s never too early for pizza!

2. Amadi Daily July 25, 2015 at 10:32 am #

Omg that looks amazing!

• Patti July 25, 2015 at 11:55 am #

It’s so delicious!!

• Amadi Daily July 25, 2015 at 12:45 pm #

I bet it is! What other flavors does the pizza come in?

3. sniplock July 25, 2015 at 8:34 pm #

Wow! You can’t beat having pizza from its birth place. Very nice indeed!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. A Piece of the Pie: NYC Pizza | Saves Lives Will Travel - March 26, 2016

[…] newcomer to my list, Rubirosa is a fabulous pie that brought me straight back to Napoli. (Can you tell how much I love pizza??) I had read about Rubirosa during my search for new pizza […]

2. Tampa Restaurant Review: Fabrica Pizza | Saves Lives Will Travel - June 11, 2016

[…] a trip to Naples while we were in Italy just to eat pizza! (You can read about that deliciousness here.) So when I saw that Fabrica Pizza had opened in Tampa last year I knew we had to try […]